The joint shortlist for three 2016 Writivism prize was released today, Monday August 1 2016 and three Nigerians made it to two prizes: Joseph Aito for the short story, Gbenga Adesina and Okwudili Nebeolisa for the poetry translation prize!
Please see the shortlist below:
4th Annual Short Story Prize
- Boyi by Gloria Mwaniga Odary (Kenya)
- SunDown by Acan Innocent Immaculate (Uganda)
- Jene suis pas rentree by Laure Gnagbé Blédou (Ivory Coast)
- The Swahilification of Mutembei by Abu Amirah (Kenya)
- The List by Aito Osemegbe Joseph (Nigeria)
Kofi Addo Prize for Non Fiction
- Lost Futures by S. Y. Tetteh (Ghana)
- Missing Wombs by Ama Asantewa Diaka (Ghana)
- 3. Another One of Those by Kofi Konadu Berko (Ghana
Okot P Bitek Prize for Poetry in Translation
- Redscar K’Oyuga (Kenya)
- Okwudili Nebeolisa (Nigeria)
- Gbenga Adesina (Nigeria)
The shortlist was selected by the three different panels of judges for the three respective categories of this year’s prize.
The Short Story Prize is judged by Tsitsi Dangarembga (chair), Sumayya Lee, Richard Ali A Mutu, Okwiri Oduor and Mamadou Diallo. The Non Fiction prize panel comprises NoViolet Bulawayo (chair), Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah and Yewande Omotoso while the Poetry in Translation judging panel includes Duduzile Mabaso (chair), Juliane Bitek and Toni Stuart (on leave).
The five shortlisted short stories will be published on Munyori Literary Journal later in the week, as in previous years. All the five short fiction shortlisters will attend the 2016 Writivism Festival in Kampala, from August 22, to 28, 2016.
Special congratulations to Gbenga Adesina, Okwudili Nebeolisa and Aito Osemegbe Joseph.
See more info at www.writivism.org